Who We Are
Raising Africa is a non-government and non-Profit organization that has been legally registered since 2016 when it operated under a provisional operational permit (numbered 12071) issued by the National Board for Non-Governmental Organizations in the Ministry of Internal Affairs as per the Non-Governmental Organizations Registration ACT. CAP.113. It has been and still is legally registered in Uganda since 2012 as a company limited by guarantee (with a registration code of 149894) under section 16 (i) of the Companies Act. On 22nd October 2018, Raising Africa acquired its permanent Certificate of Registration (numbered 2613) issued by the National Bureau for Non-Governmental Organizations in the Ministry of Internal Affairs as per the Government of Uganda’s Non-Governmental Organizations Act of 2016. On the same date, it renewed and acquired its current operational permit (numbered 1907) also issued by the National Bureau for Non-Governmental Organizations in the Ministry of Internal Affairs as per the Government of Uganda’s Non-Governmental Organizations Act of 2016.
Raising Africa was
formed out of a series of discussions among a group of fairly like-minded
colleagues from different professional backgrounds who agreed on two critical
issues that are now the cornerstone of the organization. First, effective
livelihood improvement can best be achieved through a consolidated holistic
approach; and secondly, for sustainability, locals ought to be able to
conceptualize and spearhead their own development agenda.
Currently, Raising Africa has its Head office in Kampala and its own regional office in Gulu (coordinating the whole of Northern Uganda and handling the Acholi sub region). In addition, Raising Africa has three partner hosted satellite offices in Lira (handling the Lango sub region), Arua (handling the West Nile sub region) and Moroto (handling the Karamoja sub region). We have also acquired a partner hosted satellite office in Butaleja district that will be used as our liaison office for Eastern Uganda.
We envision a society in which all individuals and communities have holistically improved livelihoods and have within their grasp opportunities to reach their highest potential.
To improve lives sustainably by advancing integrated, equitable and locally driven solutions for human development.
- Fairness, equity and justice - Ensuring that everyone, regardless of sex, age, race, colour, tribe, class and religion has equal opportunity for expression and for using their potential.
- Commitment to excellence assured by the highest ethical, quality, operational performance and scientific standards.
- Integrity - Honesty, Transparency and Accountability. We strive to be accountable for the effectiveness of our actions and are open in our judgement and communication with others.
- Solidarity - Connecting with poor and excluded people. We try to do everything in the interests of the poor, excluded and marginalized.
- Team work across disciplines and geography, within the organization and with our partners.
- Respect for the rights of women and children - We believe in deliberately strengthening the capacity of women to meet their basic needs and to improve on their position and have a strong commitment to the rights of children.
o We see development as a process, not a gift - Poverty reduces people’s choices, not their abilities. We believe that people living in absolute poverty have the knowledge, resources and opportunities for their own self-development. Our work begins with building on this.
o We treat equality as a must - Equal opportunities for men and women, girls and boys, are at the heart of what we do. We believe that when we tackle inequalities, we’re also tackling the root causes of poverty.
o When it comes to decision-making, participation is key - Participating in decision-making leads to empowerment. This holds true not only for our organization, but also for the people and partners we work with.
o We respect the environment - Environmental destruction poses a major threat to the groups we work with. Our work centres on the importance of respecting the earth’s environment, and our responsibility towards its natural resources.